The seven indicators
The programme uses seven indicators to measure staff satisfaction levels and by implication the impact of leadership in that company.
People who are well led:
- Feel Valued - they are made to feel special and hence they act special.
- Are Open - they are receptive to new ideas and engage in genuine two-way communication.
- Engage in Feedback - they recognise the importance of regular constructive feedback to improving performance.
- Are Motivated - they have positive feelings about the job and have an intrinsic drive to achieve.
- Manage Differences - they ensure that differences are not allowed to get in the way but are celebrated and seen as a source of strength.
- Take Ownership - they take ownership for getting their needs met rather than moan behind backs.
- Are Conflict Free - they engage in proactive feedback and hence dysfunctional conflict is minimised and time is not wasted.
"Without doubt some of our people who were not ‘natural’ leaders have benefited enormously from this programme" Ken Gordon - Maritime Coastguard Agency